Speech:
She is talking so much now. When we were in Brazil for Christmas she learned so much Portuguese. Now she repeats almost everything that I ask her to say. I try to say new words in both languages but I want to speak mainly in Portuguese with her. It is amazing how she has learned to use the right words in the right context. I am fascinated; we can almost carry a conversation. I absolutely love this about this age. With her new communications skills she has fewer tantrums and can express her frustrations in a different way. The other day we were leaving the house and she said: cold mama… yes honey It is cold… and she replied back : Yes!!! we can even talk about the weather LOL!
Social skills and separation anxiety: Lyla plays very well with other children, she is easy going, really likes interacting with grown ups. Lately I have been having some problems with separation anxiety again. She will not stay alone at the church's nursery how she used to and she is crying when people try to hold her or I am not close to her. Daycare drop off are painful again. She said the other day: Please mama. She did not want to go, we both cried, I felt terrible all the rest of the day. I am really surprised about this but I know it has something to do with my separation, with the fact that she is now aware that one of us is always leaving, that she can’t have both of us. I can't begin to say how hard this has been on me. I can handle my own tears, but not hers. I (and her dad) both try to reassure her constantly, make her feel safe, loved, happy, knowing that I (and hopefully he) will always be there for her. I know that the time will come that she will ask hard questions and I need to get ready. I try sometimes to even hang out with her dad and her, to take her places together, to have some play time the 3 of us for her sake. We will do her bday party together. When we do pick up and drop off, we do at her pace, sometimes she goes and does not even look back , sometimes she can't make up her mind and keeps coming to my lap than to his... there are always some tears involved and my heart breaks over and over again. I am learning how to do this shared parenting thing, but it is HARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDddd. At the end of the dy, she is still very happy , fun, active, smart, cute girl and we both love her.
Sleep: I've come to terms that Lyla is not a good sleeper. We go through a phase that falling asleep is hard, than she masters this and staying asleep becomes the issue.... OMG, now that she can escape from her crib bed time has become a nightmare again. I am trying to tell her dad to be consistent with me on the bedtime routine on the 2 nights he has her otherwise I can't do this. We will transition her to a big girl bed soon. I know part of the issue is that we share a bedroom. I can't wait to have a place that I can have my own privacy and she can also have her room all for herself. For now we have to be roommates. She sleeps in her crib until 4 am or so, she wakes up and comes to bed with me, I guess it is not that bad. Because it is so dry due the heater, she waked up thirsty and wants milk. I don’t want her to get into this habit again but I can; blame her for being thirsty… what should I do???
Eating: she is a good eater but does not eat what most kids like: pasta, pizza cheese, can you believe this? she loves rice, beans, chicken, corn, carrots, peas all kind of fruits. Milk is still her favorite drink and she has not tried any flavored milk ye. She has a sweet tooth... loves cookies and cake! Cereal with mill is one of her favorite things on earth.
Play: she is not into dolls, she loves playing with musical toys, blocks, puzzles, coloring, stickers, her bike. She is obsessed wit bags and her tea and kitchen set. I love this age of pretend play, she brings me cake and tea and we play together. She loves books still. I let her watch some tv here and there, she loves the fresh beat band, Elmo and Dora. She loves musik and absolutely adores going to Kindermusik class. She learned how to play the harmonica. It is just hilarious! I am trying to teach her the colors but for some reason she is having a hard time with this. She can say the body parts, animals’ names, food names in both languages, and some of the numbers too. I start working on letter sounds and she knows the numbers unti 10 , but not always the come in the right order.
Day care: Lyla still goes to a home care. We LOVE her daycare provider but it is time to move on. Firs week of April she is starting on a new daycare. I am nervous about it but also excited. It is a bigger place, more structure and just 2 year olds like her. Her dad and I visited a bunch of schools and we agreed on each one we like the most.
Potty training and pacifier: I will only start potty training after 2, the new daycare will help me with it. Her paci is her favorite thing after mom and dad, I am trying to limit it to bedtime only, next step and to stop using the paci...
Daddy's girl: there is no doubt, Lyla is Dad's little girl. She calls him "my daddy"... and jsut melts like butter when he arrives. I will never come in between them, as long as he does his part as a father. I can't possibly deny this to her even though my life would be much easier without our constant interaction. I must say that I am glad that we can act as grown ups and focus on her and on the fact that we will share this responsibility for forever.
Mommy: Our bond is strong; our love is honest and pure. She is my constant companion. We have so much fun together. I love that she lets me fix her hair the way I want. When I do my makeup she stares at me as if she is making mental notes. I am always telling how pretty she is... the t other day she said; momma pretty... I know that she means it.
SHeloves me so
And it all suits me fine
That funny, sunny, honey
daughter of mine!
8 comments:
So wonderful to hear an update on her. I am always saying "I love this age", each stage is a wonder.
For the nighttime drink, we often give Willow a sippy cup of water and let her have it in the crib. I limit milk in the evenings to one sippy when we get home at night, plus a small refill. Then its water only. (Also we change her diaper JUST before she goes to bed).
Willow is in home daycare too. We are waiting until next year to move her to preschool, but yes, it is almost time to graduate to a more structured environment.
You could try a cool mist humidifier to make it less dry. I would keep a cup of water nearby too, and tell her that she has to wait for breakfast for milk. You set the rules, and she'll follow them. My daughter also doesn't care much for pasta and pizza. She'd rather eat cheese and fruit.
My daughter also used to have fits about me leaving her at daycare. Then we established a routine where she would "push me out the door." This worked for her, because then she was nominally in control of my leaving, and she wouldn't get at all upset.
So cool that she's learning both languages!
Love this post. I always say 'this is my favorite age' until the next time...it just keeps on getting better and better. I love tea parties too and Claire loves to watch me put on make-up...and when I hand her a brush she knows exactly which part of her face to use it on! They are like little sponges.
We also put a sippy of water in Claire's crib, so if she wakes up thirsty, she has that. As far as the paci/binky we are in no rush to give it up. She likes it and it comforts her. It is mostly used at bed-time and in the car and we're ok with that. My gosh, they are still BABIES!! LOL. They will always be our babies!
She is getting so big, and prettier by the day. I love her bows ( :
You are an amazing woman with an amazing daughter!
I loved reading all about Lyla! I am totally loving this age and all the magic and wonder that comes with it. They are little sponges and little comedians at the same time!
My mother passed on this bit of wisdom from my grandfather: "Every age is the sweetest!"
I wish I could tell ya that this co-parenting thing gets easier w/the years, but that would make me a liar.
You just have to keep Lyla's best interests at heart & try not to let it get to you too much [pot, meet kettle]. Hang in there!
Ok, first of all - everyone in our playgroup (this was a couple of months ago now) agreed that their kids went through a period of separation anxiety at 20-22 months old. This includes kids in all situations - married, full-time SAHMs of single children, children with siblings, children whose parents work part-time or full time, children who are looked after by grandma or daycare, and also the single mum in the group. So I wouldn't blame your situation or yourself for this - I would say it's a common phase. Almost a dozen mums in my playgroup can't be wrong! Apparently it lasts a few weeks to a few months, depending on the child.
Secondly. If she is thirsty, personally, I would give water (as previous commenters have suggested). In fact, maybe she is old enough to have a water bottle by the bed to help herself (as previous commenters have suggested!) This often works with PB - I don't give milk these days as he seems to settle without it and I don't want him to start getting hunger pangs at 3am because he's used to snacking then! Don't know if it'll work with Lyla, but you can try. She will get there in the end, either way! Hang in there.
Her eating preferences sound great! Sensible girl - knows what she needs.
Glad everyone is doing their part for Lyla. Hard, but sounds like you're doing the right thing.
Great post, sounds like she is coming along very well.
Bea
I am glad to hear this bea, I was getting worried with this new separation anxiety thing...
Post a Comment