Now that I am officially done with school (oh well, not completely done since I still have to write 3 papers) Dh and I decided to resume our TTC activities. Our biggest concern now is regarding insurance. DH has some (very little) IF coverage through his insurance and I have none! It looks like that the ins offered by my new job (starting in June) offers some IF coverage (finger crossed). I am scared that they refuse coverage based on “pre existing condition”. My gynecologist thinks that I should not worry since I don’t have a diagnosis and all the tests I did so far look fine and I also haven’t had any “procedure” yet. Let me bring you up to speed about my TTC journey so far… We started trying March 2005, got pregnant 7 months later but m/c at 7 weeks. 6 Months after m/c I decided to do some blood work to see how my hormones were. I went to see that saw me after m/c that is also a R/E . I did not like her and it was cheaper for me to do the blood work at the student clinic. Progesterone came back lower than they wanted (8.2). DH s/a came back good (50 million and good motility and morphology). My doc (gynecologist) and I decided to start clomid + progesterone (August 2006), I tried only one cycle because I decided that TTC and finishing up graduate school at the same time was not such a great idea and we could not afford with no ins coverage to be more aggressive. We also did a post coital and the results were not as good as she wanted ( I heard that the post coital test is not very reliable). Because of that DH went to see an urologist to request a sperm survival test and anti sperm antibody (he has not done the new SA yet) I went to see my gyn yesterday; she gave me the prescription for clomid and progesterone for 3 cycles. She also asked to check my progesterone again and insulin resistance test. She wanted to order other blood work like the antisperm antibody but again we are scared about me being denied ins due to a “pre existing condition” (we decided to hold on). The thing is that it is much cheaper to do at the student clinic (I pay only U$ 15 for progesterone blood test compared with 130 I paid somewhere else) but I scared to start clomid (U$ 9 for students) and progesterone again before the new isn, but I am also so sick of waiting and doing nothing to increase my changes to get pregnant. What do you guys think? What have been your experience regarding IF when changing insurance? Should I wait until July?
Meanwhile I started taking my prenatal vitamins again , I have an appointment with a nutritionist for next week and should start exercising again as soon and I and better from my cold and as soon as I have the new isn I am going to see an RE. I went to a seminar in a local fertility clinic about financing IF treatments. The goal is to have a medicated IUI cycle by the end of this year. Wish me luck please and leave some advice!
5 comments:
Good luck with the TTC. I wouldn't be to worried about changing insurancec plans. H.I.P.P.A has pretty much negated the whole 'pre-existing' issue. :)
Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the comment at my place. Insurance companies are a bugger, thats for sure, IF really is something the should cover for everyone but they're so damn tight. I hope you can follow through with your plan to start IUI during this year. x
I wish I knew more about insurance issues. I have zero IF coverage, so I know it is certainly tough to get help without coverage.
Good luck with your journey! May you be Doctor Expectant Mother soon!
Insurance is such a pain--we are similar to you all, with little to no coverage. Hopefully you can switch to a better one! I am sending you lots of luck for your medicated IUI!
Can't really help you with the insurance thing since the US is so different from Brazil about that...
Just so you know, apart from blood tests (and not all of them) all IVF costs came right out of our pockets (twice... =( ).
Luckily the company that my husband works for pays 50% of all meds that we buy with a prescription, no questions asked.
I hope you can have some coverage because the treatments are not cheap.
better still, I hope you can conceive soon and without need for treatments!
Post a Comment