I’ve always been a planner, I like to prepare ahead of time, sometimes even over prepare. I like to follow a straight path and color between the lines. I thrive in routine and predictability never bores me. I’ve always had goals and worked really hard towards them and knew that if I worked hard enough things would happen just as I planned At 17 I entered pharmacy school, the first one of my family to go to college. I knew from day one which classes I was going to take during these 5 years. I followed the protocol and 5 years later I had my diploma. I got married a few days after graduation, just as planned. I moved to the USA, I worked hard, learned English, applied, got in, and 5 years later I was a doctor. I was fortunate enough to have things happen this way for many years of my life. Don’t think that it was easy, I had many many obstacles, I had to defy many odds, I work harder than I can tell you… but in the end, things happened and there was always another big goal ahead of me. I set the bar really high for myself and I expected nothing but 100% . I knew that I was blessed and that hard work alone did not take to where I was, there was also luck and other people’s generosity and talents helping along the way.
On the personal front I married young and in love. I cherished our marriage more than any degree or personal victory. I gave my 100% and learned to work hard alongside him. He taught to enjoy life , to just relax and sometimes just go with the flow . I found a balance on my mid 20’s. I felt my best at 25. I still expected a lot from myself but I was more forgiving with Cibele. The marriage routine soothed my soul. Being a team took the burden of my shoulders and being less than 100% was okay because we could just add up our joined efforts and get there together. Soon after my 25th birthday I was faced with the biggest obstacle of my life since then. Infertility! It did not matter if we both gave our 100% , things were not happening and they did not for a while. I did what I do best; I obsessed, I planned, read about it, researched my options … I was a woman in a mission. After a while it was obvious that he and I dealt with it differently. There is no wrong or right way but this spilled over many other areas. We are very different, I thought… aren’t I glad that I have somebody different than me to balance things out and to complete me? We are very different; he thought… how miserable it is to be with someone that is your polar opposite?
Infertility shook my sense of security but gave me a huge appreciation for all the blessings in my life, the big and the small ones. Pregnancy was not bliss, I was sick worried , so afraid knowing the fragility of it all. I held my breath for 8 months. The day she was born I let out a HUGE sigh of relief. We were back on track. There is a pic of me at the hospital right before deliver that you can see clearly this sense of relief. It was as if I could finally put my sward down and rest. I was a very tired and happy “warrior’ . It did not that look that I had to hear the warrior armour and fight again. I lost it this time. Fast forward. Life has settled into a new norm. I am a divorced single mother, career woman , daughter, friends with many. I have a world of possibility ahead of me and yet I feel so unsettled. I wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I am just going with the motions and I hate that. Things at work are not going well and I know that soon I will need to change directions but I have no idea what direction to go. The decision is all of me and weighs heavily on my shoulders. I know that I have to shake things up. I find myself being just mediocre and this is not me. But yet I am too tired to take huge steps. I know that I make no sense, this entire post does not make much sense, but these are the things that keep me awake at night. All I see ahead of me is a couple of feet the rest is so unknown, I don’t even have the illusion of thinking that I know anything as I did before. Some days I just want hear again; “its okay honey, don’t worry, we will figure something out, we will be okay”. I don’t mean by him, I don’t mean by no one in specific , I just want to share this load and be comforted when I feel unsettled.
There are moments that the tears come out of nowhere, they just creep in and I have a silent tired cry for a minute or so and I am ready to move on. I am tired of these lonely tears that creep in when I least expect it though. Writing helps a lot though , thanks for listening and caring.
"Walking like a one man army
Fighting with the shadows in your head
Living out the same old moment
Knowing you'd be better off instead,
If you could only . . .
Say what you need to say"
7 comments:
Im so sorry for the unsettled feelings--its difficult to want to do so much, and plan and prepare--yet feel like we are on a merry-go-round. Sending you big hugs!
Your post makes PERFECT sense. You and I are a lot alike. I am a planner and preparer and I like to have a clear-cut path in front of me. Lots of things happen when you work hard, but you can never know what obstacles are going to be thrown in your way. I always expect a lot out of myself and lately I've had some feelings that I'm not living to my potential, going through the motions like you said. I know I am capable of more.
I am truly blessed to have a husband who stuck it out with me and I hope that you will find a man worthy of you to help you shoulder the burden of life one day.
I also hope you find some clarity about the job situation and find something else you might like to do.
Oh love, I'm thinking of you.
You and I are so similar! Sending you big hugs from FL! xo
It's scary when you feel like you've lost control - I know. Hang in there - we're all there to read and listen to your words and comfort you the best we can from miles and miles away. ((HUGS))
Sarah
I know exactly how you feel! The last few years have actually left me unsettled, but it is also helping me grow in the realization that the world is much bigger than me and the way I want things. I am thinking of you and you can call me if you need to talk.
Your post made a lot of sense. I'm sorry it's all hard at the moment. I hope you'll find your direction forward one day - until then, keep walking those couple of feet you can see.
Bea
Post a Comment