Wednesday, January 14, 2009

9 month checkup

Today Lyla had her 9 month check up. She is 22 pounds (90 percentile) and 29" (80 %)... My big girl! My car seat goes up to 32" and 30 pounds , so it is time to shop for a new car seat. Dr. said I can start trying table food but to stay away from eggs, honey , peanuts, fresh strawberries, honey and sea food. She was not very pleased with the fact that Lyla still has a bottle in the middle of the night some days (any tips how to stop with this?) and that she does not go to bad until 10:30 or so (another post later about sleeping issues). Everything looked good, except her ears (as usual). There is some fluid and her right ear and her throat is red also. Since she has had many ear infections( 5 in 7 months) we were referred to a ear throat specialist. She had this appointment today as well (My boss was not very pleased that I had to take a full day off). The second appointment went well. Doc recommended to put tubes on her ears. I already scheduled for Feb 25th. It was super cold here today (3F). That made so much harder to move from Dr. to Dr. Between appointments I left her at day care and ran some errands that are almost impossible to do with a baby in this cold weather. I am exhausted but I am glad I took care of all of this. By 4:30 pm I was home. I cooked dinner and now Lyla is taking a nap. Tonight I will watch American Idol yay and Top Chef. Another exciting day in the life of a (single) monther

13 comments:

Bela said...

Cibele, minha querida. Um abraco apertado. Com carinho, B~
PS: Me escreve? meu 1 nome (com 1 "l").danielsen@pw.utc.com

areyoukiddingme said...

It worked really well for my girl to have some cereal/applesauce before bed. All the fiber kept her belly full all night. Plus, we'd mix in a scoop of formula powder too. Good luck - not having to get up in the middle of the night is wonderful, so I hope you can successfully encourage her to stop wanting the bottle.

Sarah said...

sounds like a great day, in terms of being very productive! exhausting though i'm sure! that's great that you got the referral and the tubes are going in, it makes a huge difference taking care of that early.

i think more table foods will help at night, and also it might be more habit than hunger. with piper i just had to stop going to her at night and after two days she didn't cry out anymore (that was between 9 and 10 months). it was really hard but you're doing the best thing for her letting her get a solid night's sleep (and you too!!).

good luck, supermom!

AwkwardMoments said...

Out of curiosity, what happens if you just don't feed her the bottle in the middle of the night when she wakes up? You can always experiment on a weekend when you don't have to get up.

Wishing you lots of luck with Lyla. It's not easy. I hear tubes are pretty easy to get in w/o much baby discomfort

N7 said...

sounds like a successful day for a single mom- you kick ass Cibele!!!

What a chunky monkey little Lyla is! lol! SO CUTE!!!!!!!! Sorry about the ear issues- I hope she doesn't have any discomfort :(

Hmmm what happens if you ignore the cries for a bottle in the middle of the night? Can you substitute water so she dislikes it and maybe will start to NOT want that bottle at all? I think it may be out of habit that she wants this bottle, not that she's starving. So maybe busting her bubble with some water may change things? Not sure but just a siggestion!
Good luck & keep kicking butt....

Kate said...

I hope the specialist can help you with the ear problems. You are doing a GREAT job!!! Thinking of you both....

Shelby said...

My son gets to have the tubes put in his ears too. Ear infections are no fun! Hopefully they'll help. Thinking of you daily!

Sarah said...

WOW, Lyla is getting so big!!!! Claire has been on table foods for a while now and loves them!!! She eats what we eat for dinner and it is so much easier...although I still do make her babyfood to supplement. So sorry to hear about tubes, but at least she'll feel better in the long run. You're doing a great job with her...Sarah

Courtney said...

You are doing a fantastic job Cibele!

Amanda said...

Good job growing Lyla! Sorry about the tubes, but if it makes her feel better it is all worth it.

Andressa said...

Ci, A Ana parou de tomar a mamadeira da noite (na verdade era o peito ) com usn 8 meses, mas parou sozinha. Ela ainda, às vezes, acorda à noite (esta noite foi às 2 da manhã) mas eu vou lá, ponho a chupeta, digo que é hora de dormir e pronto. Porque vc não tenta usar chupeta (ela usa?? se não acho boabgem começar...) e dar um aconchego? OU vc acha que é fome mesmo??
beijos mil

Andressa said...

ah, depois me manda de novo o link do seu outro blog? Com a formatação do meu computador acabei perdendo...
beijos

new mother said...

Olá Cibele
Te "conheço" desde quando vc tentava engravidar da Lyla. Acompanho sua história desde sempre. E torço.
E agora acho que me identifico com seu momento. Continuo torcendo.
Força! Desejo a você. O que preciso também.